The group manager works under the supervision of the director of the Capacity Development Group, with reference for a number of tasks to the Deputy Director, as per specific instructions. The group manager currently supervises staff at general service level as well as at professional level.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Workplanning, results management and reporting;
- Programme support and delivery;
- Capacity development advocacy;
- Knowledge management.
Work planning and Results Management:
- Serve as focal point for management and coordination of all internal group operations, including programmatic, financial and operational aspects of the group work, as well as supervision of any programme support staff;
- Supervise the Operations Specialist and CDG support staff members;
- Together with Operations Specialist provide guidance to colleagues on compliance with BDP’s internal control framework and UNDP’s relevant policies and procedures and in coordinating submissions and facilitating approval processes by relevant BDP corporate bodies and other UNDP counterparts (CAP, CAP/ACP, PSU, BRSP, Legal etc.);
- Oversee Global Programme and cost-shared projects to ensure compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Oversee management and reporting on funds, including trust funds, as assigned by the Director;
- Act as focal point for Strategic Plan reporting, Global Programme/Global Cooperation Framework reporting, and other similar reporting requirements, and coordinate benchmarking;
- Represent CDG in BDP Contracts, Assets, Procurement Committee and other corporate bodies as well as at senior level meetings within UNDP and with external partners;
- Keep abreast of UNDP and BDP priorities and policies and share them with the CDG including representation at the BDP. Results Management Team;
- Lead on and coordinate group inputs for all corporate initiatives/exercises;
- Contribute to the strategic direction and management of CDG including:
- overseeing and coordinating strategic work planning and resource management processes;
- articulating service delivery platforms for the successful implementation of the ERBM platform;
- developing and maintaining a comprehensive RBM/monitoring framework for CDG’s work;
- ongoing monitoring of results and delivery; and
- ongoing reporting to the Director, the Deputy Director and BDP management on the implementation of the CDG work programme
- overseeing HR management and development.
Programme Support and Delivery:
- Promote communication and collaboration among the team leaders. Create synergies within the overall team and ensure coherence in approaches to service delivery.;
- Liaise with policy advisors and team leaders in RSCs to balance policy, corporate and management issues and enhance capacity for programme support;
- Support the Director in collaborating with internal counterparts across practices and regions to promote effective integration of group goals in UNDP regional programmes and across focus areas;
- Advise project managers on the formulation, appraisal and implementation of projects with the aim to improve delivery of results, with special focus on management aspects;
- Collaborate with relevant actors to ensure timely and adequate resource mobilization efforts;
- Support the Director in resource mobilization efforts and management of external partnerships to achieve programme goals; liaise with colleagues as needed to ensure responsiveness to donor requests and meeting of reporting obligations;
- Liaise with counterparts across practices and regions to ensure alignment of global/regional/country programmes pertaining to practice work;
- Coordinate and promote quality assurance of services provided by the group;
- Coordinate the incorporating of capacity development measurements in corporate systems such as RBM platforms, corporate reporting tools and Balanced Scorecards ensuring that UNDP’s CD work is monitored;
- Keep staff in the group informed and trained on strategic planning, programme and project management and RBM related issues;
- Act as a resource person and trainer in efforts to support the capacity of UNDP practitioners in capacity development.
Capacity Development Advocacy:
- Support the Director in forging and implementing strategic partnerships and cross practice initiatives;
- Contribute to initiatives for advocacy and policy dialogue;
- Promote inter-regional networks and partnerships to enhance UN system effectiveness and coherence in capacity development;
- Strengthen the CDG community of practice (COP).
- Supervise the Knowledge Management function within CDG which also includes the communication function. Liaise with the BDP Knowledge Management Team, link with the Teamworks initiative and other Practice Managers in areas of knowledge management;
- Advocate knowledge sharing among colleagues across regions, HQ and other BDP units;
- Promote best practices/ products to facilitate achievement of practice goals;
- Contribute to initiatives aimed at building community of practices across regions;
- Coordinate the group’s contribution to training modules, materials and programmes and serve as the focal point for Learning Resources Center;
- Represent CDG in any publication board or equivalent and coordinate procedures associated with the knowledge outputs of the Group.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modeling the UN/UNDP’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply UNDP’scapacity development approach including translating principles into effective policy and programme interventions in the field;
- Capacity to interact with senior officials and credibly influence senior decision makers in UNDP programme countries and other international development organizations;
- Strong analytical, negotiation and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality practical advisory reports and knowledge products;
- Professional and/or academic experience in one or more of the areas of the CDG.
- Strong management experience and decision-making skills;
- Ability to conceptualize and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience;
- Knowledge and expertise in UNDP’s programming, financial and HR processes;
- Proven ability to lead a thematic area and drive for results with a strong knowledge of results-based management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated well developed people management and organizational skills;
- Strong ability to manage teams; creating an enabling environment, mentoring and developing staff;
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills;
- Strong resource mobilization and partnering skills.
- Ability to address global development issues;
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of development cooperation with the ability to support the practice architecture of UNDP and inter-disciplinary issues;
- Demonstrated substantive leadership and ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives;
- A sound global network of institutional and individual contacts.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Ability to strongly promote and build knowledge products;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Provides constructive coaching and feedback.
- Mature judgment and initiative;
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction in practice area;
- Independent judgment and discretion in advising on handling major policy issues and challenges.