I'm preparing a booklet to introduce pilot projects on immigration and integration in the municipality of Akranes, Iceland The projects are based on a trans sector approach (national/local authorities and civil society) shared responsibilities, collaboration and post-modern theories about culture and society.
I've put toghether this list of statements bout integration and would value your comments.
- Integration into a new and sometimes alien society is a complex process that touches the whole world of the person involved and it takes place in all layers of the society in question.
- Integration is about people; their dreams, hopes, desires, talents, possibilites and dignity.
- Integration is about opening doors and maximizing new comers potentials to use agency and autonomy to develop a healthy identity and a good life in a new context.
- Integration is about individual rights to exercise once agency and develop once identity and duties to comply with national laws and universal values.
- Integration is founded on reciprocal interaction and demands dialogue and active citizenship.
- Integration is a two way process, and the hybrid society that evolves is a matter of healthy democratic change.
- Integration needs to be woven into all fabrics of society and reflected in every aspect of interaction.
- Integration, and the extent to which it is successfully implemented in a society, is a measure of human rights, democracy and social cohesion in that society.
- Integration is not about promoting group rights and cultural diversity for diversities sake but securing access to society and promoting individual freedom to choose once cultural/religious/personal identity.
- Integration is about respecting diversity and simultaneously taking on the challenges that follow and turning them into assets and valuable resources.