Job location: Sheberghan / North Afghanistan
Starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date: January 13th 2012
Purpose of the position:
The Programme Manager is responsible for the integral management of the programme of ZOA, in the north of Afghanistan.
This position requires experience in providing hands-on management of humanitarian relief and development projects under challenging conditions. The Program Manager will lead ZOA projects in the Afghanistan North region, including providing overall direction, guidance and motivation to ZOA field staff members, strengthening partnerships with all stakeholders, and formulating the development of future projects.
The Programme Manager is a member of the National Management Team and reports to the Country Director of Afghanistan.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Overall management of the ZOA organisation in Afghanistan North region.
- Membership of national MT and contribution to national planning.
- Formulation and implementation of the Programme Plan.
- Project Cycle management, including formulation, budgeting, and integration with programme planning writing, monitoring and reporting within the programme area.
- Human Resource Management for programme staff.
- Maintaining relationships with all relevant actors in programme area.
- Supervision and control of the administrative and financial programme organisation.
- Participate in country wide programme and knowledge development.
- Relevant security management responsibilities.
- Being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of ZOA.
- The candidate is expected to support the vision and mission of ZOA.
Knowledge / Experience
- Bachelor degree in a humanitarian relief and development, international relations, non-profit management or other relevant field.
- Minimum four years of project management experience working with multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary staff in an NGO.
- Experience in livelihoods programming, WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) and capacity building is a plus.
- Proven ability to live and work in challenging environments.
- Proven success in leading and managing staff.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Prior experience in developing nations, preferably in insecure zones.
- Prior regional experience highly desired.
Skills / Attitude
- Command of operations.
- Excellent analytical and strategy skills.
- Planning and organizing skills.
- Financial management and analysis skills.
- Strong formulation and writing skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment.
ZOA offers a challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team in the programme country. ZOA provides for good benefits and remuneration. For more information about our organisation please visit our website: www.zoa.nl/worldwide.
Special conditions and circumstances
- This job contains frequent travelling, including field visits.
- The duty station is not suitable for families with children.
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Mr Wil Omlo (HR Director), tel. 0031(0)55 36 63 339.
How to apply
If you are interested in the job of Programme Manager Afghanistan and you fit in the profile, please send your letter of motivation and résumé to Ms Jolien Veldwijk, email@example.com before January 13th 2012. Please make sure you mention ‘Programme Manager Afghanistan’ in the subject line. Selected candidates will hear back from us around January 26.