- The European Union pulled a TV ad from circulation and apologized after many considered it racist. The ad featured several non-Western martial artists who confront a white brunette (symbolizing Europe) with weaponry and ends with her surrounding them.
- President Lukashenka of Belarus…
Added by Rebecca Sargent on March 11, 2012 at 4:52pm —
- Tens of thousands of people took part in rallies across Europe on Saturday to protest against an international anti-piracy agreement they fear will curb their freedom to download movies and music for free and encourage internet surveillance.
- Pro-Europe politician Sauli…
Added by Rebecca Sargent on February 12, 2012 at 7:43pm —
- The Council of Europe Commission for Human Rights warned this week of rising racism and xenophobia in Europe amid the current economic crisis, with austerity budgets undermining social rights and putting vulnerable groups at greater risk. On Wednesday, British PM Cameron…
Added by Rebecca Sargent on February 5, 2012 at 3:32pm —
The 29 July early parliamentary elections in Moldova swept Europe's last ruling Communist party from power by pro-EU opposition parties. With 98.3 percent of votes counted, the Communist Party won 48 seats in the 101-seat Moldovan parliament and the four opposition parties collected 53 seats. The former Soviet republic has been experiencing a political crisis since the April elections that turned into a week of violent demonstrations by young pro-opposition activists in the capital Chisinau,… Continue
Added by Ari Rusila on August 2, 2009 at 2:30pm —
Twitter revolution did not change government in Moldova but created big drama instead including a couple of conspiracy theories and “fast-track” mini enlargement of EU with one million new EU citizens while Moldova possibly losing a quarter its citizens with same deal. So a relatively small improvised demonstration can lead its (mis)use for possible purposeful utilization of multidimensional aims of different players.
In my post "… Continue
Added by Ari Rusila on April 20, 2009 at 7:37am —
Different aspects of freedom are fundamental value of human rights in Balkans as well globally. While starting of a year it’s good time to check the near past and make some benchmarking. Rankings or ratings are one kind of (process) benchmarking in which organizations or in this case states evaluate various aspects of their processes in relation to best practice.
In 1st part of my "Freedom in Balkans" serial I make a short update about political rights and civil… Continue
Added by Ari Rusila on January 20, 2009 at 4:30am —
Political freedom is usually described as the absence of interference with the sovereignty of an individual by the use of coercion or aggression. Often word “Liberty” - the condition in which an individual has the ability to act according to his or her own will - has been connected to freedom and social anarchists see negative and positive liberty as complementary concepts of freedom.
Freedom House is an independent nongovernmental organization based in USA that supports the… Continue
Added by Ari Rusila on December 10, 2008 at 3:58am —