For more info see http://youngafricanleaders.state.gov/washington-fellows/how-to-apply/
2014 Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
Who is eligible to apply?
- Citizens of and residents in a sub-Saharan African country. Persons holding U.S. citizenship or permanent residency are not eligible;
- Young leaders with spoken and written proficiency in English; and
- Youth between 25 and 35 years of age at the time of application submission, although exceptional leaders younger than 25 will be considered.
What are the criteria for selection?
Washington Fellows should have:
- A proven record of leadership and accomplishment in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement;
- A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others;
- Strong social and communication skills;
- Good academic performance, with preference given to applicants with some university education;
- An energetic, positive attitude;
- An opportunity to benefit from a U.S.-funded program or exchange for the first time;
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the track selected; and
- A commitment to return to Africa and apply leadership skills and training to benefit the applicant’s country, community, or school after they return home.
The application for the 2014 Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders will not be available until early December 2013. However, in order to help potential applicants prepare, we are providing the following informational guidelines. The exact details of the final application are subject to change.
Application Information: The application will collect basic information and will include questions regarding applicants’ professional and academic experience including educational background; honors and awards received; extracurricular and volunteer activities; and English language proficiency. We will also request a résumé (with dated educational and professional background), personal information (name, address, phone, email, country of citizenship). Additional elements, such as letters of recommendation or university transcripts, are OPTIONAL and may supplement your application. The online application will be available in early December 2013.
Personal Statements: As part of the application, applicants will be asked to provide written responses to essay questions. Questions might include the following:
- Explain how you have helped introduce a new idea, initiative, or product at your company or organization.
- What is a challenge that your country, industry, or field faces that you would like to address? What steps and resources would be necessary?
- Describe an example of a project that required you to attract support from a large group. How did you build interest?
For more information: Visit the Contact Us page to sign up for email updates and notifications about the application process.