Support the International Violence Against Women Act, Join Us in the Fight to End Violence Against Women and Girls

For countless women living in the developing world, a life without violence is a rare thing. Every day around the world women are beaten, raped, and even killed because of their gender.
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/840/p/salsa/web/common/public/...

But there's a way to help. This year, Congress will vote on the International Violence Against Women Act (IVAWA), a comprehensive bill with bipartisan support that aims to empower women by giving them the tools they need to escape abusive situations and make a new start for themselves and their children.

IVAWA needs to pass, and we are running out of time. Please join me in 31 Days of Action, a month long campaign intended to raise awareness about the issue of violence against women, and build support for IVAWA in Congress.

Together, we can make a difference!

To join 31 Days of Action, click here

Tags: Gender Based Violence, International Violence Against Women Act, Take Action, Women Thrive Worldwide

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The worst form of violence is found in Pakistan where women are not even considered as human beings.
Violence aganist women is really one thing which bothers me alot especially when its commited with Impunity.
Dr Craig ! I hope all is well with you !
Yes together to eradicate violence against women because all women at countries under development is suffering from this bad behavior among their communities due to lack of civilian right awareness and also communities was suffered from the shortage awareness and concerned on traditional , habits and religious.....etc! so real we need as civil societies community to gathering our efforts to build safer community through prevent women from all violence types.
Hear the voice of a young woman in Southern Sudan on this.

KAJU - by Sister Dee

KAJU is a song about the women of Sudan and the challenges they are facing. The song developed by Sister Dee is produced with the support of Xchange Perspectives in Yei, Southern Sudan.
Dear friends,
we dont need to wait for the world to help us, we should try and do something to save women and children. I am working out a concept. Can my colleagues join me in this cause, lets see what we can do for our different countries.
if we really want to work to stabilize the growing violence against women, we need to go to grass-root level of civilization. we have to deconstruct the rigid boundaries between the masculine and feminine, gender and sex. we have to be vigilant in every realm of life
Domestic violence is more of a cultural/religious issue,which is deeply rooted in some areas of the world,IVAWA should understand that eradicating it may take a longer time,but with awareness and programe like this,it will gradually reduce.
of late women in Ghana are fighting for their rights and hence violence against women has dropped drastically. Women are willing to report cases of abuses meted out to them. currently for the Ghanian man it was incorrect to beat your wife .
No doubt given the size and scope of the US aid program, such legislation can have an impact a long way from its shores. But there are smaller initiatives that get less attention. For example, in the southwest Pacific, I have a series of reports on domestic violence published on my website telingamedia.com + a discussion forum - Tok Melanesia - to encourage honest talk esp from men in this region. The forum on this taboo topic has been less than successful. It coincides with one regional govt - Papua New Guinea - fronting a UN committee (CEDAW) to explain what it's doing about various forms of gender based violence in the country, incl sorcery killings.

Amnesty International have made the running at the UN in NY this week and the relevant docs can be found at -
http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cedaw/cedaws46.htm under 'Papua New Guinea'.
Cheers, Steve
Craig,
Thank you for posting about the 31 Days of Action campaign and for supporting IVAWA and our work at Women Thrive! I am so happy to read all of the great responses this post has generated and am encouraged that so many people are taking a stand.

We are doing everything we can to get the word out about the violence women and girls face on a daily basis and the types of things we all can do to make a difference. Yesterday, we posted a short video to our youtube page that people are welcome to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WomenThriveWorldwide

We hope that the video inspires everyone to take action and to spread the word by sharing the video with like minded activists.

Thanks again, for your support for IVAWA!
Thanks. Perhaps you can also post a bit more information on the origin of the IVAWA as I know people are quite interested in learning more and/or posting some info linking to other sources.
Here is more info about the IVAWA:

The IVAWA (H.R. 4594, S. 2982), was reintroduced on February 4, 2010 by Representatives Delahunt (D-MA), Poe (R-TX), and Schakowsky (D-IL), and Senators Kerry (D-MA), Snowe (R-ME), Boxer (D-CA) and Collins (R-ME). (Click here for all IVAWA House sponsors and here for all IVAWA Senate sponsors.)

It was developed by lead Congressional sponsors in conjunction with Women Thrive Worldwide, Amnesty International USA (AIUSA), the Family Violence Prevention Fund (FVPF), and the help of organizational partners. The IVAWA is the result of extensive research on what works: it was drafted in consultation with more than 150 groups including U.S.-based NGOs, U.N. agencies and 40 women’s groups across the globe.

Violence against women is a major cause of poverty, and keeps women from getting an education, working, and earning the income they need to lift themselves and their families out of poverty. Research shows that giving women in poor countries economic opportunity empowers them to escape abusive situations.

If passed, the IVAWA would for the first time comprehensively incorporate solutions that work into all U.S. foreign assistance programs - solutions such as promoting women's economic opportunity, addressing violence against girls in school, working to change public attitudes and increasing legal and judicial protections for women. It would make ending violence against women a diplomatic priority for the first time in U.S. history and would require the U.S. government to respond to critical outbreaks of gender-based violence in armed conflict - such as the mass rapes now occurring in the Democratic Republic of Congo - in a timely manner.

By investing in local women's organizations overseas that are successfully working to reduce violence in their communities, the IVAWA would have a huge impact on reducing poverty - empowering millions of women in poor countries to lift themselves, their families, and their communities out of poverty.

For more info about IVAWA you can visit Women Thrive, or any of the partner organizations that support the IVAWA including Amnesty International or Family Violence Prevention Fund.

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service