I´m looking for information about Peace Studies Master Programs in South Korea. 

Views: 1160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can check the Graduate Institute of Peace Studies at Kyung Hee University.

Link: http://go.mail.ru/search?utf8in=1&fr=fftbUFix&q=kyunghee+un...

Yeah, i´ve already checked that site, hope you are doing well.

Regards!

Cristina Martínez

Mexico

Hi Cristina!

The School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University, the oldest confict/peace studies school is working on trying to get a conflict/peace studies program in Korea at the new campus in Songdo. 

This could happen as early as next year, but it will probably be a few months before we know the status.

Feel free to contat me at roland_wilson@hotmail.com

Regards,

Roland

Then I will keep in contact with you, I really would like to study there, thank you :)

Cristina Martínez

Mexico

Hi Roland, 

It sounds interesting! Could you give me more info? 

Does this program provide Ph.D.?

My email address is sangduck.kim@emory.edu. Thanks!

Best,

Sangduck

I´ve already ckecked the page, the information is really useful for me, thank you :)

Cristina Martínez

Mexico

HI Cristina and Roland, 

Cristina, look at the UN University for Peace Asia Pacific Centre in Seoul. They offer MA and (soon-to-be) PhD degrees in peace studies. http://upeaceap.org/

Roland, will the George Mason program in Songdo offer a PhD or certificate program? I'd be interested in either of these options. 

Best,

Kevin

Hi Cristina,

I've been living in Korea for several years and the two best programs I've seen aside from the one at Kyung Hee, are at Yonsei University:

http://gsis.yonsei.ac.kr/html/content.asp?code=002005002002

They have an MA in International Cooperation with several different concentrations. It is one of the SKY universities (the three most prestigious Korean universities, which stand for Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University). 

The second program (MA in Peace and Security) is at Korea University, which is also one of the SKY universities. 

http://gsis.korea.ac.kr/programs/ma/international_studies/peace.html

There are a number of advantages and disadvantages to studying in Korea, but overall I think most people I know that have done MA programs in Korea have been fairly happy with them. It is just worth finding out as much information as you can beforehand so you know what to expect. I am not an expert at these two universities but I know a bit about general living and studying in Korea issues. 

I hope this helps.

@ Benjamin Gross

Please can you share some of the known disadvantages and advantages for studying in S.Korea? Thanks

Some of the disadvantages:

• Tuition isn't cheap (US$5000 to 6500 per semester).
  • Korean universities don't have much academic weight (despite all three of the SKY universities ranking in the top 200-300 universities worldwide according to QS and THES). This may not be fair, but it is the reality of people's perceptions about Korean higher education. 
  • The quality of education can vary. Although this may be true for any university, Korean educational attitudes have been geared toward more teacher-centered and hierarchical methods of learning. The result is that some professors seem more interested in hearing themselves talk than facilitating education. That being said, I've encountered these problems in the US, Australia, and England (albeit, to a smaller extent) in higher education. Ultimately, you have to be willing to take responsibility for the education you get and seek out good lecturers and have an ability to self-motivate. 
  • There isn't strong accountability or government oversight of education until last year when the government started cracking down on misconduct and corruption in the universities. This hasn't really affected the top tier universities, but it is part of the overall problem with the perception of Korean universities. 
  • Although the courses are taught in English, some professors are definitely more comfortable or proficient with English than others. 
  • Korea is a very homogeneous society, which means that while foreigners are generally welcomed, we are also seen as oddities and may receive special attention or prejudice because of it. Many expats can handle being stereotyped, stared at, and sometimes singled out but some get quite frustrated. 

The advantages of studying in Korea:

• Despite the high tuition, foreign students are almost guaranteed scholarships. Instead of paying more as an international student (as in most developed countries) you pay less. Depending on the university one can expect a 30-70% discount on tuition. Based on grades, that percentage discount can be increased on a semester by semester basis. This can be unpredictable but there is always the knowledge that hard work brings more scholarships.
  • The Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) offers fully funded MA and PhD but the applicants must take a year of Korean language before beginning the program. 
  • Korean universities are eagerly looking for more diversity in their student enrollment so many universities are very welcoming to international students. 
  • Considering the lower international standing of Korean universities, in general, getting accepted to a Korean university isn't as competitive as some countries. 
  • Seoul is a great city to live in (I mention Seoul, because any of the universities worth considering are in Seoul, or it's metropolitan area). Compared to other major urban areas in developed countries, Seoul has reasonably priced accommodation, extremely cheap mass transportation, good food, and is quite safe. On top of that, Seoul is quite foreigner friendly. 
  • As a colleague pointed out to me: Korea may not have the highest ranked universities in the world but if you go to one of the top 5 or 10 universities in the country, when a world-class visiting lecturer, dignitary, or academic visits Korea, it will be to those top 5 or 10 universities. So, it can actually give you access to a smaller number but higher level of policy makers and academics from Korea and abroad. 

Overall, I would say that it depends on one's career goals. If someone wants to be a teacher, professor, or academic in a prestigious university, a Korean degree may not help too much. If the degree is for the experience of Korea, increased knowledge of a subject, or studying East Asian society and politics, then I think studying in Korea could be very worthwhile. 

Thanks for the information, indeed i want to study there because i´m pretty interested in East Asian politics

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service