Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some feedback and support about an issue I am currently working at my job. I am helping the process of designing a tool or any kind of instrument that can allow us to measure the effectiveness of reconciliation. It started as an idea on building an index, but to be honest this seemed to me crazy and impossible regarding the nature of the process of reconciliation! Anyways, what we and other colleagues found out is that in fact there are some exercises that can give you an idea on how reconciliation has worked, or what people think as reconciliation, sometimes misunderstand with coexistence, peacefully living together, harmony, tolerance...and its has been obtained (this has been done in Colombia) through perception surveys, and though it is more feasible than an index, for me it is still vague and imprecise. Does anyone know of successful experiences, approaches, methodologies, regarding this issue? Respectful of the process and nature of reconciliation, I guess there has to be “something” that can allow us to know if we are somehow “going in the right way”, without meaning a measure of its results or impact.

Any idea, feedback, book reference, etc... will be of great help!

Gustavo

Views: 682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone!

First of all many thanks for your kind collaboration! Your feedback, advices suggestions, book and web references have been of enormous value! And thanks for your interest, it really keeps me motivated! Ok, so what has happened?: there is a consensus about the great difficulties (and in case how absurd it will be) to measure reconciliation, through an index or whatever kind of tool, because the nature of the process entails very subjective and emotional aspects which are very intangible and when manifested or are evident they do it after a long period of time, amongst many others.. You can’t standardize it through a tool as it is such a human and intimate process.  And also, it is very difficult to measure that because of a certain or specific action or process, a community or individuals have been reconciled; I mean, it’s very difficult to identify this cause-effect relationship, as there may been many other aspects of influence, thought of course, it could have been of support. Ok, anyways…as I told you there has been many perception surveys and these have shown some parameters or benchmarks that can give an idea or approximation that reconciliations has worked. The new thing that we found out is that a public commission, leading all the processes of reparation and reconciliation in the country, has been working on a methodology about reconciliation projects, meaning it will be used as a guide, with criteria on how to design and develop projects which foster reconciliation. It will not be guaranteed that by using this methodology the result will be positive and reconciliation will be fostered, but indeed it is a help for the “basics” (though who says what are the basics???…I’m still having problems understanding this!), of what such a project must have. I don’t know yet the methodology, so I hope all my doubts will be clear soon. Anyways, it’s an alternative that compared to an index I personally found it more realistic. The idea is to work more on this methodology and do a pilot project next year. I hope to use all the material you have giving me in order to enrich this methodology with all the interesting experiences all over the world! In this matter I may be writing personally to some of you, if you don’t mind…So I’ll continue to keep you posted! And again, if you have any feedback about this I’ll be very happy to know about it!

En paz!

Gustavo   

Sorry for the very late reply, but yes, please keep us posted and feel free to email me if you want to share information, lessons etc.

Hi Gustavo,

Thank you for asking such a complex question that generated many responses from colleagues. After getting stuck in my study of evaluating plausible reconciliation after dialogue experiences, I kind of benefited from your inquiry which provided many generous responses, most of which enlightened my study. Thank you all for your responses.

Vincent C.

Portland State University

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service