for more info see http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=34687
|Application Deadline :
||Crisis Prevention and Recovery
|Type of Contract :
|Post Level :
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :
|Expected Duration of Assignment :
The Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Bahrain is coordinating the UN’s programmatic response to the situation in Bahrain as a consequence of the events of February/March 2011. There is a necessity to enhance the capacity of the UN Country Team to develop and implement programmes that are aimed to strengthen social cohesion and confidence-building among Bahrain’s communities to further the national efforts towards social reconciliation and the national reform process.
In order to fulfill the need for a meaningful and coordinated response, the RC/RR seeks the support of a Programme Advisor who will provide strategic guidance to the RC/RR, the UNCT and to the resident and non-resident UN Agencies especially in the programmatic response in areas of governance and social cohesion/dialogue.
In this context, and in support of the RC/RR, the Programme Advisor will engage with national partners, counterparts and stakeholders for the purpose of enhancing partnerships between UN Agencies and their Bahraini counterparts on developmental, social cohesion and national reconciliation efforts. The Programme Advisor is expected to provide senior-level socio-political analytical products in support of UN-system programming in the country. Additionally, the Programme Advisor would be tasked with developing new entry points for social cohesion programming, enhancing the capacity development mandate and methodologies of the UN system vis-à-vis social cohesion and governance reform initiatives, and ensuring partnerships with national counterparts whereby national capacities are promoted, developed and sustained.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Advisor will carry-out the following functions:
Provide strategic support to the RC/RR in his/her relations with government, academia, civil society, and with the wider political and civic leadership to:
- Identify new entry points with national stakeholders and develop existing partnerships and relationships with key interlocutors in government and civil society.
- Engage with senior levels of government, academia and civil society, under the direction of the RC/RR, to ensure that the UN system’s programmes are in line with national priorities and are developed and sustained in a consultative manner.
- Lead and support, as required, programme networking, linkages and partnership development on social cohesion, governance reform and capacity building issues with other UN agencies and national and international development partners.
- Engage with national actors to deepen ownership of the programmes in social cohesion and governance reform, and widen the constituencies for the programmes through building capacities of national actors.
- Participating, on behalf of the RC/RR, in relevant national fora and representing the UN system where necessary.
- Under the direction of the RC/RR, engage with other national and international institutions and initiatives in order to promote a common approach towards supporting social cohesion and governance reform.
Identify areas of programmatic engagement with national stakeholders, and support the RC/RR and the preparation of the UN response to government requests, related to social cohesion, dialogue and democratic reform processes. Develop ideas and specific projects, including initiatives at the community level.
- Through his/her extensive experience, the Programme Advisor would synthesize and share relevant regional and global experiences and best practices in order to inform and enhance consultations on national programmes and projects.
- Produce concept notes for projects and initiatives in line with UN agency mandates, and in support of national development priorities in Bahrain.
- Help to ensure coherence between different UN programme components on social cohesion and governance reform.
- Where possible, initiate multi-stakeholder processes in support of national priorities, and in cooperation and coordination with national and local institutions.
- Develop strategic linkages, coordination and harmonization between the governance programme and other CO programmes and initiatives, and provide opportunities for joint UN programming.
Provide senior-level, substantive analytical and advisory support to the RC/RR and to the relevant UN Agencies:
- Engage with relevant think-tanks and research institutions to enhance the socio-political and economic analytical capacity of the UN system for the purpose of informing programmes and projects.
- Support the UN system’s analytical and programmatic capacities by using available methodologies for socio-political and development analysis and supporting the production of relevant analytical products that inform the UN Agencies’ development work.
Assist in the development of capacity building and training programmes for national institutions on concepts, methodologies and experiences on dialogue and social cohesion, particularly at the community level.
- Design, and carry out knowledge development and training activities to national counterparts in government and civil society, as well as within the UN system.
- Develop a follow-up strategy for UN capacity development initiatives with national stakeholders for the purpose of ensuring sustainability of knowledge and skills and embedding it in national institutions.
- As appropriate, Identify and build the capacity of community-level organizations, and link their work to the strategic national goals of social cohesion and governance reform.
Impact of Results:
- Enhanced capacity for reconciliation and socio-political analysis
- Expanded partnership with national counterparts in government, civil society, academia, and think-tank/research institutions
- Relevant international experience with regard to social cohesion and governance reform adopted and implemented by national stakeholders.
- Strengthened capacities for dialogue, social cohesion and confidence buidling.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism. Functional Competencies:
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Has specialist knowledge in the area of social cohesion, dialogue and governance reform, as well as in-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
- Well-developed skills and demonstrated experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder processes and negotiation;
- Excellent analytical skills. Experience and specialist knowledge in building national capacities in good governance and building national reconciliation.
- Demonstrable ability to engage with sensitivity and strategic foresight in situations involving multiple actors and stakeholders;
- Understanding of the UN system and good knowledge of UNDP rules, regulations, and strategy and programming modalities;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Proven facilitation, training, networking, coordination, team-building, consensus-building, and organizational skills;
- In-depth knowledge of human development situation in the Arab states and their reform processes;
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a multi-cultural environment;
Management and Leadership:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to advise and oversee formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes;
- Sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of national counterparts;
- Demonstrated competency to address the planning, human resources, financial and other issues which are central to high-level planning for democratic transition and economic recovery.
- Proven ability to incorporate into his/her work relevant international practices;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Team player, self-motivated and initiative taking, dedicated, creative, resourceful, flexible, energetic with sound judgment;
- Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations;
- Sound time management and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in political science, sociology, international relations, international economics, law, public administration, or other related social sciences.
- At least 10 years of senior level experience in socio-political analysis, policy and strategy development, development and/or conflict prevention in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization.
- Extensive experience in research and project development.
- A proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience and track record of engagement with senior levels of government, United Nations, and donors.
- Experience working within a UN agency and experience in the Arab Region would be a major asset
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic
|Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('G...
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.