For more information, please visit: http://web.worldbank.org/external/default/main?pagePK=8454041&p...
Cross-posted from: http://unjoblist.org/vacancy/?273416
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, as the selection process will be fully competitive.
The World Bank’s South Asia Social Protection Unit (SASSP) in India is seeking to hire a Social Protection Specialist to work on a wide range of social protection issues in an operational capacity. SASSP in India provides technical assistance and project implementation support to national and state government clients. The Unit is responsible for a wide range of cross-sectoral policy areas, including social assistance policies, social insurance and labor market regulations and interventions targeting youth employment. The Unit has an exciting technical assistance program that includes helping implement and evaluate the national program extending health insurance to the poor and unorganized sector (RSBY), studying the social policy implications of urbanization on vulnerable
populations, and working with select states to improve service delivery in a range of social programs through better administration and information technology systems. Currently, SASSP is preparing a new project in Bihar to strengthen and integration social protection delivery systems in the state, building from previous technical assistance. In addition, the Unit works closely with other colleagues on a number of cross-sectoral engagements, including assistance to the government on improving employability and skilldevelopment among youth with education and other colleagues, and assessing the performance in selected states of the national social pension program with the poverty reduction and economic management team. SASSP is expanding the portfolio of both lending and non-lending activities in India.
The Unit seeks to add a Social Protection Specialist who will be expected to contribute to the above areas, particularly on the design, implementation, supervision and preparatory activities for new projects.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
• Provide operational and implementation support to the new Bihar Integrated Social Protection Improvement Project. In particular, s/he would be expected to play a lead role in working with field staff
in the implementation societies.
• Contribute to state-level social protection system strengthening technical assistance and project Interventions through the Social Protection Implementation Strengthening Programmatic AAA, emphasizing administrative systems design and program management;
• Prepare and supervise advisory and project support activities on social protection and labor;
• Contribute to business development and preparation of new lending operations;
• Coordinate and guide activities of local consultants engaged in project or AAA work in both central and state activities;
• Represent the World Bank with government, NGO and other stakeholders on social protection and labor issues;
• Coordinate with civil society organizations and other development partners in social protection and labor areas relevant to the World Bank’s programs;
• Work with the SASSP team in India and perhaps other countries in SAR to implement technical assistance or projects that form part of the work program.
Knowledge and Experience in Development Operations – Designs and supports implementation of cross-sectoral lending and non-lending social protection and labor operations and programs based on technical and cross-country knowledge, contributes to country and sector strategies and
interacts with clients and development partners at the policy and project levels;
Social Protection and Labor Knowledge and Experience – Exhibits country-level experience with operational, technical and policy issues related to social protection and labor across a range of social and economic development contexts,
Integrative Skills -- Understands links between cross-sectoral policy areas, particularly with respect to intersection of social safety nets, social insurance, education, skills and labor policy.
Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a manner understandable to audiences of varied levels.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.
Other Selection Criteria:
• Master's degree in Economics, Social Science or related discipline;
• At least five years of relevant operational experience in the development field, preferably in the social sectors in India with emphasis on program design and implementation. Experience in other South Asian or other countries desirable;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive, professional relationships with government counterparts, donors, civil society and other stakeholders;