This information is cross posted from: http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=35450
The Peace & Development Adviser (PDA) works directly with the United Nations Development Co-ordinator to strengthen the United Nations Kosovo Team’s (UNKT) capacity to systematically identify, promote and institutionalise the linkages between the political, development and reconciliation aspects of the UN’s work. The PDA assists to address political challenges by liaising closely with international community actors and local counterparts, by providing a political analysis capacity for UNKT and by promoting the mainstreaming of conflict prevention and peace-building concepts into UNKT’s development assistance. A key priority for the Peace & Development function is to identify opportunities and risks for positive engagement in North Kosovo, and to advance the development agenda in a status-neutral manner in accordance with the United Nations’ mandate in Kosovo.
Under supervision of the Peace & Development Adviser, and authority of the United Nations Development Co-ordinator, the National Peace and Development Officer will act as an adviser and facilitator for all aspects of UNKT’s peace and development activities. The main roles are: contextual information collation and processing; identification of opportunities, planning and prioritisation; management of strategic partnerships; advocacy; facilitation and support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Under the guidance of the Peace & Development Adviser, but with the expectation of operating largely autonomously, the Peace and Development Officer will be responsible for:
1. Maintenance of UNKT presence and contact-point in North Kosovo. Representation as required and advocacy on behalf of UNKT programmes and activities.
2. Development and maintenance of professional network and strategic partnerships within the local community, development partners, local institutions, civil society and private sector. Setting up and facilitation of meetings and events, provision of linguistic, administrative and logistical support as required.
3. Collection, collation, processing and presentation of information of direct and indirect relevance to UNKT peace and development actions and plans. Advise on local conditions. Identification of opportunities, challenges and risks to implementation of UNKT peace and development actions.
4. Submission of a monthly written summary of actions undertaken and achievements, and to brief the PDA on ad-hoc basis as required.
Summary of Expected Results:
1. UNKT representation and advocacy - enhance the professional reputation of all agencies and programmes of the UNKT; to deputise in the absence of the PDA as required.
2. Development and maintenance of professional network and strategic partnerships - improve the quality of information which will inform UNKT development prioritization; enhance the acceptance of and co-operation with UNKT agencies and their activities in North Kosovo.
3. Collection, collation, processing and presentation of information - directly support evidence-based policy development and prioritization and improve the targeting of UNKT development assistance.
4. Reporting and briefing - to improve the wider understanding of development issues and priorities in North Kosovo.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of UNKT development plans and actions, particularly in North Kosovo. Specifically, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities in support of peace and development.
Demonstrates the values of the United Nations, including impartiality, fairness, honesty and truthfulness; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Respect for diversity
Treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making; does not discriminate against any individual or group.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
• Masters degree with minimum 2 years prior experience required, or alternatively
• Bachelors degree in combination with 5 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
• Relevant experience in project/programme implementation, advisory services and/or establishing and managing inter-relationships among international organizations and local institutions/communities;
• Skills in establishing and developing strategic partnerships with individuals and institutions will be very highly valued;
• Analytical and reporting skills will be highly valued;
• Familiarity with the current situation in North Kosovo would be considered advantageous;
• Knowledge of and ability to facilitate co-operation with key institutions and individuals would be considered advantageous.
• English: confident technical proficiency, oral and written;
• Serbian: fluency, oral and written.
• Knowledge of Albanian language is an asset.
• The highest standards of integrity and conduct are required.
• Click on the "Apply now" button.
• Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
• Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11).
• System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment
• Without the completed and signed P11, your application may not be considered. The UNDP Personal History Form can be downloaded at this link: http://www.ks.undp.org/en/Jobs
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted