Cross-posted from: http://unjoblist.org/vacancy/?274511
Job TitleCommunications Associate
Job TypeProfessional & Technical
Recruitment TypeLocal Hire
Language RequirementArabic [Essential]; English [Essential]
Background / General description:
The World Bank office in Baghdad, Iraq is looking for a skilled and motivated graduate with at least 2 years’ experience to support the outreach and communication needs of the team in Baghdad. The World Bank is engaged in a range of activities supporting Iraq’s authorities in rebuilding the country and ensuring access to social services for all. To be most effective in this work the Bank seeks to ensure that citizens are both consulted and informed.
The Communications Associate is expected to proactively participate in the design and implementation of effective communications and outreach strategies in order to raise awareness and understanding about what the World Bank does to support the government and citizens of Iraq. The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Advisor for the Middle East and North Africa and the Baghdad-based Country Representative. She/he will work as part of a regional communication team and in collaboration with colleagues to support operations colleagues at various levels.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Is responsible for helping to develop, execute, and monitor the impact of routine- to medium-profile communications strategies and campaigns about the Bank's work, programs and/or policies that target key external audiences and/or colleagues throughout the Bank.
• Designs, writes, produces and disseminates often complex communications products (e.g., press backgrounders, media packets, news releases, brochures, Q&As, PowerPoint presentations, website and social media content, briefing notes, etc.) that are strategic and consistently on-message about the Bank and its policies and operations in Yemen.
• Liaises and maintains relationships with certain key internal and/or external (e.g., the media, civil society, academia, businesses, local government agencies, etc.) constituencies to identify opportunities for possible strategic partnerships and to build understanding and appreciation of the Bank's work.
• Regularly tracks and analyzes current events, public opinion and other internal or external developments related to the Bank and its work, utilizing information from routine and non-traditional sources from both inside and outside the Bank, to help assess news value and other potential impact on the Bank and to help determine appropriate responses as needed.
• In consultation with colleagues, responds to routine and non-routine inquiries about the Bank from all constituencies to enhance two-way communication and dialogue with key audiences, presenting complex information on sometimes difficult issues. This may include giving oral presentations to small- to medium-sized target groups within and/or outside the Bank that have a general interest in Bank activities.
• Acquires detailed knowledge of the Bank’s Access to Information policy to assist colleagues in the Yemen team with timely disclosure of Bank documents. This includes advising colleagues on translation.
• Oversees planning and coordinates scheduling, logistics and briefings for sometimes large communications activities and events (e.g. VIP visits, press conferences, seminars, town hall meetings, etc.) involving internal and/or external audiences.
• Works independently on routine tasks and programs, but seeks guidance from supervisors as needed on moderately complex projects/issues.
For more information, please visit: http://web.worldbank.org/external/default/main?pagePK=8454041&p...