I am in the process of initiating a NGO which will focus on International Youth Development for young adults in conflict areas of the world. The NGO will be based in Washington D.C. and will have an international board and advisory council. 

I am overwhelmed by the wealth and breadth of online information on 'how-to' incorporate an organization, etc. I seek advice, support as I proceed in this endeavor. If you have any resources which are focused in nature that you would recommend, or are willing to provide suggestions/advice, I would warmly appreciate it!

Tags: Development, Founding, NGO, Organize, Tips, Youth, a

Views: 1129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings from Pakistan.

its so nice to learn about ur initiatives. congrates and we r also working on similar initiative including others as well. plz have some moment to visit our website. Though we r new but we r going to be international this year, and hope we can keep in touch in future as well.

http://deep-international.webs.com

thanks

yes indeed i will be happy to be among your staff

regards
ahmed lone
Masters in peace and conflict studies
kashmir
indian administrated kashmir
ahmedlone21@gmail.com

I really apprciate this initiative,and i would like to coeprate with you. I am Rev. Yoseph Mekonnen who is the director general of Universal peace Federation Ethiopia Chapter. We work with young University students throughout the country.Tahnk You In Advance!!

Best Regards

Rev. Yoseph Mekonnen

UPF. Ethiopia

Email. upfethiopia@yahoo.com

Hi,we are also on the process this end of January 2011 of opening a school for leadership and democracy in the war tone zone DRC/ Goma. this will be more focus on youth. we would like to be part or partner with any organizations providing training or networking special for youth.  its a huge challenges for us to start such an initiative in this part of Africa with many differences but we really need involvement from all over the world.

kivudestiny@gmail.com

Hi,

My advice is that you will need to plan, organise and control effectively the activities of your NGO to achieve your short and long term goals. I am willing to offer more advice on your youth project based on my experience on children, women and youth projects.

Thanks

I am James Whawhen from Liberia. Besides my experience in working with the Ministry of Gender and Development in Liberia and encountering a number of youth groups in my previous work, I believe that shared experiences from every part of this world especially countries that have experienced some form of crisis will help you in getting a proper perspective on what you want to do. Issues of registering your NGO varies from country to country. I am willing to provide whatever information you may need from Liberia.

Hie Tamera Iam Solomon Bobosibunu founder and Secretariat Advisor of Pacesetters Youth Network based in Zimbabwe. the network is looking at going into the SADC region however, we would like to share more information with you if we can be of any assistance. The projects focuses on Peacebuilding projects after the 10 years of crisis.

It is stressing but noble.

Dear tamera,

This is really a great initiative and i really appreciate that. I am from Somalia, though i might not be able to give you integrate ideas and suggestions but i can promise to give/provide updates and situational analysis if needed, at least the state i am living which has been relatively stable as from 1998, if not the whole country. The organization i am working with is involved in peacebuilding activities, also youth and women are one of our potential stakeholders.

Warmest regards,

Maria

Hi everyone, I am Tobias Wiah, a young Liberian and founder Earth Youth Intiative of Liberia. I love to part of this as you may award my country is just coming our of long years of civil conflicts and there are lots we can learn from eachother. if you send me your contact deatils.here is my email address. tobiaswiah@yahoo.com

A few critical issues I also encourage anyone thinking about starting a nonprofit include:

1) What is the unique niche/gap that your organization is seeking to address? Given the multitude of organizations in the field, is there something unique that your organization will do compared to others. Are you proposing to work in a new sector, region, or bring a specialized skill set.

2) Is another organization needed? There are over 1,000,000 nonprofits in the US and the majority of these are quite small with budgets under $50,000 or so and run by volunteers. One of the key questions is does the field need another nonprofit working on this issue? Or is there a way to work with existing organizations that might be doing similar work? Sometimes starting a nonprofit is not the most appropriate choice.

3) Develop a solid business plan? Many individuals starting nonprofits are motivated by a desire to make a positive difference in the world, which is key. However, to sustain an organization requires a tremendous amount of hard work, networking, frustration, inspiration and more. An important step in developing a successful organization (in addition to having a strong mission and vision) is developing a business plan that outlines both your funding plans, operations, staffing, timeline, etc. Netimpact is a potential wonderful resource here, see http://netimpact.org

4) Think seriously about the Board - Having a strong board can be a tremendous asset when developing an organization. Try to think creatively about who are key people who may open to joining your org.

5) Be Creative About Fundraising - There are many ways to be creative about fundraising beyond applying for government and foundation grants. Consider funding generating activities that can be organized, such as providing technical services, selling merchandise (see http://cafepress.com for one idea, such as music, t-shirts, etc.).  There are also innovative online platforms for fundraising such as http://www.kickstarter.com/. Also see the Guide to Key Resource for Funding Peace and Conflict Work on this network, http://www.internationalpeaceandconflict.org/profiles/blogs/guide-t...

Tamera

Great timing. We have just launched a Youth and Education based NGO in and started it with a seed grant from UNESCO PPN. We will launch a Digital Video Story Telling Contest in Africa called "I am Africa, This is my Story..."

This will involve many countries and Youth Organizations. By the end January we can have our media kits and online training programs out for everyone.

The training programs are designed to help ALL youth programs and to give your youth program a voice. You can use these web story telling educational tools for you own NGOs.

The web sites are not up yet, however you can track us at http://globallearningframework.ning.com.

Please send me your emails and friend me at rclose@richardclose.info

Lets Save some lives
Richard
Chrysalis Campaign, Inc.

I am Agunloye Adewunmi from Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa, i am currently managing an NGO with affiliation with Atlanta Sister Cities Commission, Atlanta, Georgia, Usa. I will like to participate in any activities of your proposed NGO and i can be reached on the following e-mail (bagunloye@gmail.com, alsistercities1974@yahoo.com0

Thank you

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service