grassroots-driven conflict-management initiatives: please suggest examples

Hi,

I am looking for examples of grassroots-driven conflict-management initiatives. I am particularly interested in those where civil society organizations have managed to involve the military and/or non-state actors in improving the lives of the citizens living in conflict areas.

This is for a comparative study that I am doing and could also be a chapter of a forthcoming book.

Please let me know

Thanks

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our organization, Integral Development Services Phils., Inc and in partnership with The Asia Foundation has long been working in  mitigating violence in the conflict prone communities in the Autonomous REgion in Muslim Mindanao. In particular, we facilitate resolution of 41 clan related violence and  mitigated potential election violence during the May 2010 national elections.

We work closely with the local governments, military. religious and other civil society organizations in the successful implementation of our conflict resolution initiatives.

Hi Norma,

I am very interested in what you do since the Philippines is definitely a key country for me. I have been reporting from Mindanao for years, my PhD will partly focus on the Philippines. Rido is a key interest of mine since I believe that the horizontal conflict is probably now the main problem for the locals’ human security. However, at the moment I am particularly interested in the role of grassroots/civil society organizations in filling (part of) the gap in the Philippines' government-driven SSR program. In particular I am looking at the following areas:

-          Establishment of “Zones of Peace (ZOPs).”

-          Monitoring of the government-Moro Islamic Liberation Front peace agreement

-          Provision of human rights and peace-building training to the military.

Can you suggest more organizations in Mindanao that are working on the above-mentioned? Please forward my email freely, fscarpello@gmail.com to whoever wants to discuss this with me.

Thank you

F

In addition, I was also a prime mover in the establishment of Zones of Peace in some conflict prone municipalities of Lanao del Sur and Maguindanao. The ZoP strategy enabled the community residents to police and manage their localities using non violent ways of conflict resolution.

Thank you.

That is great Norma. We should definetly talk more. I would be very interested in details as to how you involved the military in this and on data as to the success rate of these ZoP. Also, is there anywhere a full list of the current ZoP active in Mindanao?

Thank you.

I will send you the list of active and operational ZoP in Mindanao. I will also try to look some of my files to send you some info materials.

thanks sir

Im working Community in Nepal Peace building Activities if you want i have many success Stories grassroots-driven conflcit management initiaitves in conflict zones in Nepal. im peace builder in Nepal. you send mail this id, rajendrasanu@gmail.com

thanks

I sent you an email today. Thanks

Hi Fabio,

Please look at the website of the Interfaith Encounter Association (www.interfaith-encounter.org), working to build inter-communal relations in the Holy Land through active interfaith encounter.

Best wishes,

Yehuda

Hi Yehuda, '

Thank you for getting back to me. I have looked at your website and checked your 'project' section. I wanted to ask you if you have involved the security sector in your initiatives. The aim of my current project is, basically, to underline CVOs/grassroots intitiative that complement or fill the gap in SSR, especially when the government sees security only through the lenses of defense. In some such cases, CSOs have proved quite instrumental in sensibilize soldiers on concept such as human security and waging peace. Do let me know, please.

Mr.  Scarpello,

I'd be happy to get together with you on the internet to discuss work that the Quakers have been doing in the African Great Lakes Region.  They have over 300 trained community mediators working in dispute resolution in former and current areas of conflict where citizens have little or no access to law enforcement or legal systems.  Some of the mediators work in very dangerous areas where militias and guerrillas are still operating.  Others work in post conflict areas.  You can get some info by googling   "African Great Lakes Initiative".  My email is  georgebrose@yahoo.com  I can supply you with some case studies if needed.  Lokks like you are getting good response to your request.  Good luck.     Sincerely,  George Brose

S

Dear George (let's be informal...)

I checked this http://aglifpt.org/about.htm, which I believe refers to what you mentioned. It seems interesting. I was wondering if in particular you have examples of grassroots initiatives that involved the security sector somehow. I know that it is more difficult, and CSOs often avoid the security sector, but my current project is, basically, to underline CVOs/grassroots initiatives can help towards a better security sector reform by introducing/stressing concepts such human security, human rights, waging peace and so on.  Especially in the developing world, SSR is often seen as modernizing the army and making the police more efficient—I am trying to underline examples where CSOs/grassroots have stepped in.  This may be by establishing ‘zones of peace’, training soldiers or mediating in conflict. Can you help?

Yes, the response has been incredible!

F

You may get the required information from WWW FLICT.org (Facilitating Local Initiatives for Conflict Transformation) on Sri Lanka. This is a GTZ initiative. 

Rohan Salgadoe, Sri Lanka

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service