Hands Along the Nile Development Services
is proud to sponsor the
2012 Essay Contest
Topic: 2011 was truly momentous for Egypt. As we reflect on a year which saw political leaders fall and elections begin, HANDS invites you to share your thoughts on the following topic:
What lessons can American politicians and people learn from the Egyptian Revolution? Particular consideration will be given to answers which cover both social and political lessons.
First Prize: $4,000
Second Prize: $3,000
Third Prize: $1,500
Two Honorable Mentions: $750 each
Eligibility: Must be a registered full time graduate or undergraduate student at an accredited college or university in the United States at the time of entry. High school students entering college in the Fall of 2012 are also eligible for entry in the contest.
Contest Rules and Regulations:
1. Each essay must reflect the contestant’s own research, writing and original thinking.
2. Only one essay may be submitted by each contestant.
3. Include a letter on school stationary from the Registrar’s Office, verifying your eligibility.
4. Papers should be no more than 2,500 words.
5. Papers may include text and graphics.
6. The essay should be titled, typed in 12-point font, double-spaced with 1” margins and numbered pages.
7. If outside material is referenced, please utilize standard MLA or APA format.
8. The body of the paper must not identify the author to allow for anonymous judging.
9. Required Cover Sheet Information: Title, Author Name, Address, Phone Number, Email, School Affiliation and Status (undergraduate or graduate).
10. All entries become the property of Hands Along the Nile Development Services and will not be returned. Entries may be used in future publications of HANDS’ newsletter and other materials.
Judging: Essay submissions will be judged based on multiple aspects of style and content. All judging by HANDS is final.
Submission of Materials: In addition to the eligibility notification letter from the Registrar’s Office, please submit two stapled copies with attached cover sheet to:
Hands Along the Nile Development Services, Inc.
1601 N. Kent Street, Suite 1014 Arlington, VA 22209
DEADLINE: Submissions must be postmarked by JULY 3rd, 2012.
(Winners will be announced in January 2013.)