HUMAN RIGHTS DELEGATIONS TO RWANDA, SUMMER 2011 (AGES 18 - 35)

Global Youth Connect, an international human rights organization that facilitates cross-cultural human rights programming for youth, is pleased to announce that we are still accepting applications from young leaders (ages 18-35) for our Summer 2011 international human rights delegations to Rwanda. The Bosnia program is currently full, but we have several spaces remaining on the Rwanda program for qualified candidates.

Each GYC human rights delegation is a unique, first-hand opportunity to cross cultural boundaries, learn about the daily reality of human rights as experienced in a complex and increasingly globalized world, and to contribute to progressive action. Each delegation weaves together three core sets of activities:
        a training workshop with local youth activists
        site visits to important institutions & historical sites
        service projects with grassroots organizations

We invite interested young leaders to apply.  We are looking for participants who are between the ages of 18-35 and who possess U.S.  or Canadian citizenship or residency as well as international students studying full-time at a U.S. or Canadian college or university.          Most importantly, applicants should wish to expand their knowledge and understanding of human rights and social justice and to offer hard work, skills, connections to the work already underway in
Rwanda.  Participants will become part of a growing global movement of youth acting together for compassion, human rights and responsibility.

TWO SUMMER 2011 HUMAN RIGHTS DELEGATIONS TO RWANDA

Level:           Student/Young Professional
Delegation 1:          June 18 – July 11, 2011
Delegation 2:          July 23 – Aug. 15, 2011
Tuition:        $2200 (per delegation)

Application Deadline: OPEN Until Filled

Both delegations to Rwanda will explore the roots of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, how this legacy of violence has impacted the country and its people, particularly Rwandan youth, and also how the country is rebuilding today. We will examine issues of truth, justice and reconciliation in the context of post-conflict Rwanda and what is needed to strengthen local institutions and programs dedicated to advancing human rights in Rwanda and around the world. Both delegations will work in a Learning and Action Community (LAC) with
Rwandan peers and organizations to explore the human rights situation in Rwanda and the world today and to take concrete action steps together to support current and future efforts for human rights protection and promotion, both in Rwanda and abroad. We will focus on the relationship between human rights and international development, the relationship between the arts and human rights, and the role of grassroots organizations in the realization of human rights. In volunteer service activities we will focus on several key issues: children’s rights, LGBTI rights, public health, juvenile justice, and the rights of historically marginalized groups.

For detailed information on program activities, costs, fundraising guide, and application information, please visit: www.globalyouthconnect.org/participate.html  
Specific information about previous Rwanda delegations can be found
at
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?GlobalYouthConnect/dcd6a786a4/d4dea2a733/145308de9c

Tags: Rwanda, human rights, trip, youth

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this notice. We are in Somalia do we have eligible to attend the Summer2011 Human Rights Delegation to Rwanda.

As one of the Youth activists in Rwanda; i gladly welcome you all to this land of 1000 hills and millions of smiles, come have an experience in a country that has gotten itself from nothing in post 1994 genocide to a model country in Africa and globally.

Henry

hi thanks for providing the opportunity to the youths. i m dr. saroj from india.as i know im not directly eligible for this summer 2011 human rights delegation to rawanda but i am eager to join this if opportunity will be given to me............if possible kindly inform and adjust me in this delegation
i am a youth from the conflict pron manipur state of india. i am interested in participating in such program so that i can learn and understand rights in such conflict pron situation.
if there is any opportunity for us to fit in such delegation it would be a wonderful gift to our backward state.

RSS

Sponsored Link

Please Pay What You Can to Support PCDN

Please consider Paying What You Can to help PCDN grow. We encourage you to consider any amount from $1 and up. Read the SUPPORT page prior to making a payment to see PCDN's impact and how your payment will help.

Sponsored Link

Translate This Page

PCDN NETWORK TWITTER FEED

PCDN Guidelines and Share Pages

By using this site you're agreeing to the terms of use as outlined in the community guidelines (in particular PCDN is an open network indexed by Google and users should review the privacy options). Please note individual requests for funding or jobs are NOT permitted on the network.

Click BELOW to share site resources Bookmark and Share
or Share on LINKEDIN

FOLLOW PCDN on TWITTER, FACEBOOK or GOOGLE+

Google+

© 2014   Created by Craig Zelizer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service