The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) is a South Africa-based civil society organisation working throughout Africa to bring creative African solutions to the challenges posed by conflict on the continent. ACCORD’s primary aim is to influence political developments by bringing conflict resolution, dialogue and institutional development to the forefront as an alternative to armed violence and protracted conflict.
ACCORD is recruiting for the position of Manager in its Knowledge Production Department (KPD). The strategic objective of KPD is to position ACCORD as a positive and constructive learning organisation that enhances policy, research and practice in the field of conflict management. The Department works closely with other Units/Departments at ACCORD in order to collate, generate and share knowledge from ACCORD’s practical field experiences in mediating and intervening in different conflict situations on the continent. The position is based at ACCORD’s head-office in Durban, South Africa.
MANAGER – KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION DEPARTMENT – Ref. 1/2012/KPD
• Provide strategic guidance and leadership to KPD;
• Design and implement relevant knowledge management systems, research programmes and strategies for innovation and learning;
• Build an effective and motivated team within KPD in order to drive the institution’s knowledge production agenda;
• Build and maintain the profile of ACCORD’s knowledge production and management internally and externally;
• Provide editorial oversight over ACCORD’s publications;
• Manage the financial, administrative and human resource requirements of the department; and
• Provide support to the overall institutional fund-raising requirements and needs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• PhD or equivalent in international relations, political science, peace and conflict studies or related field (candidates with a masters degree and a proven requisite experience will be considered);
• Six to eight years of progressively responsible experience in the field of conflict management, peace and security, or international relations;
• Proven track record of multiple and diverse publications (e.g. book chapters and peer-reviewed journal articles);
• Experience working or engaging in policy-relevant research and information gathering and sharing;
• Ability to conceptualise and analyse complex information of current and emerging peace and security issues;
• Ability to identify new knowledge production areas and opportunities, and conceptualise these into project and funding proposals;
• Six to eight years experience in two or more of the following institutions: academia, civil society organisation/NGO, government, inter-governmental organisation;
• Experience in the conceptualisation, management and implementation of research projects;
• Attention to detail, ability to plan and prioritise work and meet deadlines to successfully deliver to a diversity of objectives and demands.
How to apply:
Please send your relevant letter of motivation and CV, including a minimum of 3 references, with the reference 1/2012/KPD in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday 30 November 2012.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
For more information about ACCORD please visit http://www.accord.org.za