Senior Programme Officer, Peacemaking Unit
Based: Durban, South Africa
Closing date: 21 March 2011
Starting date: Immediate
The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) is a South African-based civil society institution working throughout Africa to bring creative African solutions to the challenges posed by conflict on the continent. ACCORD’s primary aim is to influence political developments by bringing conflict resolution, dialogue and institutional development to the forefront as an alternative to armed violence and protracted conflict. ACCORD specialises in conflict management, analysis and prevention and intervenes in conflicts through mediation, negotiation, training, research and conflict analysis.
ACCORD is recruiting a Senior Programme Officer for its Peacemaking Unit. ACCORD’s Peacemaking Unit works towards the prevention of violent conflict, and the promotion of dialogue and peaceful resolution of conflicts on the African continent.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
The overall tasks of the Senior Programme Officer are, but not limited to:
• Implementation of the vision and strategic direction of the Peacemaking Unit;
• Contribute to the development of a detailed implementation plan for the Peacemaking Unit, identifying all activities, seminars, research outputs and other activities to be undertaken as per agreed deliverables;
• Compiling written reports on activities, and written submissions towards internal and external (donor) reports;
• Responsible for the administrative management of the Unit on a day-to-day basis;
• Conceptualises and implements peacemaking activities, including preparing and delivering presentations;
• Follows the field and academic debates linked to core activities of the Unit; and
• Establishes networks for the Unit with partners nationally, regionally and continentally;
Skills & Qualifications:
• A Post-graduate degree in International Relations, Conflict Resolution, Peace and Security, or related field;
• 3 years operational and programme experience in an NGO environment;
• Previous experience in training or skills as a facilitator is preferred (adult-based learning);
• Fluency in English;
• French and/or Portuguese and/or Arabic is an added advantage;
• Computer literacy in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database packages.
How to apply:
Please send your relevant letter of motivation and CV, including references, with PMU-SPO-ACCORD in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about ACCORD please visit http://www.accord.org.za