Under the supervision of UNDP senior management in Haiti, the Programme Specialist will be the Head of Unit: Recovery, Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction. The Programme Specialist provides appropriate advice to the Directorate on all aspects of the Country Programme while putting focus on all unit related issues. The main function of the Head of the Recovery, Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction Unit is to lead the unit team and ensure programme planning and management, including the coordination of the implementation of all projects to guarantee the timely delivery of quality results, and achieving the financial and programmatic targets while conducting monitoring and oversight of the implementation.
Key programmatic areas of the unit include neighborhood rehabilitation, housing, job creation, conditional cash transfers and poverty reduction initiatives.
The Head of the Unit takes an active part in the direction of the team in strategic planning and programming. It helps to identify new program areas while ensuring consistency with the priorities of the United Nations and UNDP Haiti and regulations and procedures.
The Head of the Unit works closely with the senior management as well as with other heads of unit, other UN agencies and UNDP Headquarters and regional office in Panama. In this context, the head of the recovery, livelihoods and poverty reduction unit provides support to the preparation, review, evaluation of ISF, CPAP, CPD and other corporate instruments.
It is expected that by the end of 2013, the leading role of the unit will be gradually transfer to a senior UNDP national colleague (NoC). This transition is part of the recommendations of the mission / plan and emphasizes the MCT will nationalize the position and support the emergence of high-level national frameworks. It should be noted that the post is a Development Project Funded post (DPF).
Summary of Key Functions under the supervision of Senior Management :
- Programme planning and management, including the coordination of the implementation of all projects in the unit to ensure the timely delivery of quality results, and achieving the financial and programmatic targets.
- Provision of support to UNDP Haiti on policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge sharing and management and capacity building;
- Support building strategic partnerships and alliances including maintaining effective relationships with the key stakeholders including the UCLBP, FAES, MCI, MTPTC and others.
- Management of the recovery, livelihoods and poverty reduction Unit, including the coordination and oversight of the programmatic sections, M&E and operation sections (Procurement and Supply Chain Management, Finance and Administration, Communications and Contracts Management).
- Contribute to the resources mobilization strategy of UNDP Haiti
Programme planning and management, including the coordination of the implementation of all projects to ensure the timely delivery of quality results, and achieving the financial and programmatic targets while conducting monitoring and oversight of the implementation.
- Through sound leadership and management, optimize the organizational capacity to deliver efficiently the expected results in compliance with UNDP policy, rules and regulations;
- Promote and maintain a suitable environment for teamwork within the project team and with the UNDP Country Offices (CO);
- Coordinate and supervise the overall management of the programme in collaboration with the national officer;
- Oversee and manage programmatic and financial operations of the unit;
- Support capacity development of project staff through promotion of learning, implementation of internal programme oversight, quality control and performance assessment;
- Conduct in-depth programmatic and performance analysis, identifying and managing risks including initiating actions in consultations with UNDP senior management and other units;
- Ensure regular information sharing, attendance at the unit coordination meetings and other coordination platforms, sharing of reports and joint programming;
- Coordinate with corporate UNDP services to ensure the execution of budgets and expenditures is in conformity with the rules and procedures of UNDP to ensure that expected results are achieved in a timely manner;
- Coordinate with corporate UNDP services to ensure administrative, financial and technical support are provided for achievement of the programme results;
- Conduct periodic programme monitoring field visits and provide technical and operational support and guidance to the personnel working in the field, as required.
- Ensure that the grants are implemented in accordance with UNDP policies and procedures;
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of reports in line with UNDP corporate requirements and donor requirements. including timely submission of periodic (quarterly, annual) narrative and financial reports
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective monitoring, information and reporting systems;
- Ensure an efficient financial flow process within the framework of UNDP procedures and donor requirements;
- Ensure an efficient flow process for procurement and supply management within the framework of UNDP and donor requirements;
- Ensure compliance with audit requirements and undertake follow-ups to address gaps;
- Coordinate with other units within UNDP Haiti to ensure programmatic coherence and efficient use of resources and capacities;
- Implement other duties as required by the senior management.
Support to Policy advice and strategic technical guidance and leadership:
- Manage the overall strategic direction and provide leadership to the recovery, livelihoods and poverty reduction initiatives, including the setting of programme direction and identification of strategic priorities in line with the UNDP Country Programme Action Plan (CPAP) and Integrated Strategic Framework (ISF);
- Ensure harmonization and integration of the UNDP Haiti initiatives into the national strategic documents and coordination mechanisms such as the sector tables;
- Be responsible for ownership and revision of strategic documents such as Annual Work Plans, Annual reports and other UNDP project documents, and update of Country Programme Document and CPAP;
- Work closely and coordinate with the Senior Management and other heads of the unit in advising responses to opportunities for resource mobilization in the different thematic areas related to the unit, including overseeing the conceptualization and drafting proposals;
- Ensure political support of government actors for the principles and key objectives, planned outputs and results of the project;
- Provide Senior Management and Programme team with advice on recovery, livelihoods and poverty reduction;
- Provide technical guidance to UNDP and project staff, and ensure technical support to government counterparts and implementing partners;
- Contribute to the development of the organization’s strategy and policy, the development of operational policies, procedures and tools;
- Coordinate activities and exchange information/ideas with other UNDP units to contribute to the achievement of overall country programme objectives;
- In coordination with UNDP Haiti communications unit, be responsible for optimal visibility of UNDP and UN in the field and with the national partners.
Support Building strategic partnership and alliances
- Coordinate and build partnerships with UN agencies and other implementing partners (IP) as well as with the international and local stakeholders to ensure transparent and efficient implementation of the programme, and mobilizing appropriate acceleration and scale-up efforts of the programme;
- Coordinate project activities with relevant donors and stakeholders at the national level under the overall supervision of the UNDP Senior Management and in close collaboration with other units, to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives;
- Oversee the development of communication strategies with national and international stakeholders;
- When necessary, oversee and manage the selection of implementing partners through open, transparent processes according to UNDP’s corporate policy and donor requirements;
- Coordinate and collaborate with clients, partners and stakeholders to link and harmonize approaches and to promote common interests and achievement of results, in accordance with UNDP’s corporate policy on procurement and contracting;
- Coordinate the capacity assessment of IPs and develop action plans to close identified gaps;
- Harmonize reporting and accounting practices of IPs including programme results, budgeting and financial key performance indicators;
- Ensure annual audits as required
Building Knowledge and Capacity:
- Document lessons learned and best practices in programme/project development and implementation;
- Advocate for UNDP with Government counterparts and ensures access to best available expertise;
- Facilitate capacity-building of national counterparts;
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the CO;
- Access global best practices, share them with other local and international stakeholders and ensure their incorporation into the health portfolio and project design process;
- Provide any other necessary support in coaching, guidance for the project staff that will boost their capacity to deliver results.
Impact of results:
This post will contribute to promoting:
- Rehabilitation of neighborhoods
- Support to the housing sector: policy making and pilot projects
- Job creation in the framework of the national employment strategy
- Conditional Cash Transfers and poverty reduction initiatives
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Solid knowledge of UN/UNDP policies, programming framework and procedures is an asset;
- Knowledge of Haiti context desirable.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific country context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations;
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and implement financial management and reporting systems under challenging circumstances;
- Experience with Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and development aid.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Excellent negotiation, managerial and analytical skills;
- Sensitivity to a changing political and economic environment, and to the range of professional perspectives of the supervised staff;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Prince 2 certificate
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;