We are looking for a research coordinator to implement a research involving focus group discussions within an experimental design in the North and South Kivu in the DRC. The project is entitled: “Improving Media Interventions to Prevent Violence and Promote Non-Violent Conflict Resolution in Ongoing Armed Conflicts.” The principal investigators are Drs. Rezarta Bilali and Johanna Ray Vollhardt of University of Massachusetts Boston and Clark University in the United States. The research coordinator should already be based in Bukavu or Goma.
The research coordinator will:
- recruit, train, and lead a group of researchers to implement the project (i.e., organize focus group discussions, collect data, etc.).
- identify target communities to draw the samples of participants in the research project (in collaboration with the principal investigators)
- oversee the budgetary issues related to the project
- ensure that the implementation of the project is done in accordance with the research guidelines provided by the principal investigators
- communicate regularly with the principal investigators to report on the daily progress of the research and any challenges
- the research leader will work closely with the staff of NGO Radio La Benevolencija HTF offices in Goma and Bukavu.
- Knowledge of and experience working in the Eastern DRC
- Prior experience leading field projects in the DRC desirable
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to details
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Prior experience leading teams desirable
- Experience with preparing project budgets
- Willingness to learn new research methodologies
- Interest in the research topic
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, skype
- Prior experience conducting empirical social science research desirable (preferably: survey research as well as interview studies)
- Fluent in French & English
- Compensation will be commensurate to the project leader’s prior experience and capabilities.
Project timing and duration
The position can start immediately (or during February). The approximate duration of the project including preparation time is 3 months.
Application for the position
To apply for this position please submit a CV, a cover letter outlining your interest and relevant qualifications, and the names of 2 references to Rezarta.Bilali(at)umb.edu Please, only candidates that are already based in the region will be considered, because the project can not pay for international travel or housing.