||New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
|Application Deadline :
|Type of Contract :
|Post Level :
|Languages Required :
|Duration of Initial Contract :
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT).
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
|The Framework Team (FT) is an informal forum of 22 UN agencies, departments, funds and programmes that provides coordinated interagency support to RC/UNCTs in countries going through complex political transitions to take early action for conflict prevention. Through the Framework Team the UN departments/agencies can “Deliver as One” on the early prevention of potential violent conflicts. FT support will help the UNCT to develop a conflict prevention strategy with commensurate programming within the context of the UNDAF that will have multi-agency support from HQ.
The Framework Team (FT) Secretariat is seeking a Programme Associate, who – under the direct supervision of the Senior Secretary of the Framework Team (FT) (and the Secretary of the FT in the absence of the Senior Secretary) – will provide programme and administrative support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Secretariat is hosted by UNDP/BCPR and supports the 22 members of the Framework Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support for the FT Expert Reference Group, FT Plenary members and a number of inter-agency Country Working Groups (e.g. organizing meetings, note-taking, follow-up);
- Provide administrative and logistical support for workshops, orientations and trainings, and any other special events organized by the FT;
- Assist with backstopping of programme management for team members, draft minutes of meetings and draft brief summaries of meeting outcome and action points;
- Assist in preparation of reports, compilation of background materials, working papers and statistical data for various programme meetings/briefings.
- Assist in the production and dissemination of knowledge products and information-sharing to enhance conflict prevention skills and capacities for the Peace and Development Advisers and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice, relevant UNCTs and UN HQ staff.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including website maintenance and updating.
- Preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Assistance in grant applications to donors including development of budget proposals;
- Follow up with Programme Support and Operations Team and External Relations Team on status of contributions agreement; managing contributions in Atlas;
- Follow-up with donors for contributions as per contribution agreements and monitor the income and expenditures against funding and prepare financial reports for the FT donors.
- General administrative assistance including maintaining filing system;
- Travel arrangements, leave monitoring, preparation of unit calendars;
- Internet research in related technical areas.
- Perform other duties as and when required.
The support of the Programme Assistant will help ensure the smooth and effective operation of the Framework Team, including a well-managed budget and donor communication; timely and well-planned organization of meeting workshops, trainings, and other events; development of quality communications, notes and reports; up-to-date management of membership information.
JOB KNOWLEDGE/ TECHNICAL EXPERTISE:
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
PROMOTING ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESULTS-BASED MANAGEMENT
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
PROMOTING ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING AND KNOWLEDGE SHARING
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
Ethics & Values: Demonstrating / Safeguarding Ethics and Integrity
Is familiar with and acts in accordance with the standard of conduct for international civil servants, ethics and UN/UNDP values
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment Understands the structure and hierarchy of UN/UNDP, process flows throughout the organization, products and services, their measures of effectiveness, and perceptions of clients
Developing & Empowering People/Coaching and Mentoring: Self-development, initiative-taking
Takes initiative and seeks opportunities to initiate action
Working in Teams: Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
Works collaboratively with team members sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity
Communicating Information and Ideas: Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively. Uses tact and sensitivity when delivering sensitive information or resolving delicate issues
Self Management & Emotional Intelligence: Creating synergies through self-control Fosters a positive outlook and maintains focus during period of stress and heavy work load, inspiring and guiding others towards goal achievement
Conflict Management/Negotiating & Resolving Disagreements: Managing conflict Remains calm, composed and patient, regardless of his/her own state of mind in the face of conflict
Knowledge Sharing & Continuous Learning: Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
Actively seeks learning opportunities, adopting best practices created by others
Appropriate and Transparent Decision-making: Informed and transparent decision making
Makes decisions within his/her own span of control, recognizes issues requiring more advanced judgment and refers them to the appropriate level
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience at the national or international level is required
- Experience in handling web-based management systems, especially in relation to the ATLAS project management and financial control system
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Knowledge of UN and UNDP systems and procedures.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required; working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset
Passing the UN Clerical Examination or ASAT is a requirement