Cross-posted from Just Vision: http://www.justvision.org/media-coordinator-israel
Just Vision is a nonprofit organization that informs local and international audiences about under-documented Palestinian and Israeli civilian efforts to end the occupation and resolve the conflict nonviolently. Through film, multimedia, education and strategic outreach, we support people who are fighting for freedom, dignity, security and peace through nonviolent means. We are based in Washington, DC, Jerusalem and NYC. We are nonpartisan and religiously unaffiliated.
The Media and Public Engagement Coordinator in Israel will be responsible for building relationships with Israeli press, bloggers and strategic community partners to bring nonviolent efforts to end the occupation and resolve the conflict into popular discourse in Israel. The Coordinator will work with the Communications and Production Manager and the Outreach and Programming Coordinator to implement communications strategies in order to reach key Israeli audiences and generate support for grassroots nonviolence leaders and movements. S/he will act as the point person for Israeli media, by producing press materials, responding to media requests, acting as a spokesperson and proactively reaching out to media outlets. S/he will be responsible for implementing the Hebrew social media and online communications strategy. Additionally, the Coordinator will devise and implement a community engagement strategy by organizing events, acting as an organizational spokesperson and building relationships with community leaders.
• Develop media outreach strategies and campaigns.
• Develop press opportunities around Just Vision’s films and interviews with civic leaders, while keeping up with current events in the region in order to identify and pitch relevant stories to journalists on an ongoing basis.
• Draft media alerts, press releases, letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts in Hebrew.
• Cultivate ongoing relationships with Israeli press and continually seek out new opportunities for including nonviolence efforts to end the occupation and resolve the conflict in mainstream Israeli media discourse.
• Review and update website language in Hebrew to ensure it is current, accurate and relevant to Israeli audiences; Create new web content.
• Craft communications for our Hebrew email list; grow and manage subscriptions for this list.
• Work with the Communications and Production Manager to develop a social media strategy in Hebrew;
• Serve as a spokesperson for Just Vision in the Israeli media, available for television, radio and print interviews.
• Present Just Vision films in public settings such as post-screening Q&As and panel discussions
• Develop and implement a targeted community engagement strategy.
• Identify new opportunities for bringing Just Vision’s films and resources to a range of Israeli audiences.
• Work on a daily basis in English with a diverse team that includes Palestinians, Americans and others.
• Must be ambitious, creative and strategic thinker who enjoys a challenge and is motivated by results. The position requires initiative and persistence and the ability to balance multiple priorities and responsibilities.
• 3-5 years of professional experience in media or communications.
• Proven track record in media outreach work, pitching to journalists and generating media placements.
• Superior writing skills; Experience drafting press releases, op-eds, backgrounders, fact sheets, action alerts, blog posts, etc.
• Fluency in Hebrew (native speaker) and written and verbal proficiency in English.
• Commitment to supporting nonviolent grassroots efforts to end the occupation and resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
• A high level of familiarity with the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and with the political, cultural and media landscape in Israel.
• Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills; The ability to interact effectively and sensitively with a wide variety people of diverse professional and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and reliability.
• Experience with Drupal or another Content Management System, or track record of quickly learning new technologies.
• Proficient in engaging new media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
• Problem-solving skills, ability to work independently and with a team.
• Extremely detail-oriented and organized with a track record of consistently meeting deadlines.
• Able to work virtually with team members based overseas.
We are seeking a creative, strategic thinker who is willing to be a spokesperson for Just Vision, our work and our films. Master’s degree or comparable experience, preferred. Must be willing to travel overseas for events and team meetings several times each year and to travel extensively throughout Israel on a regular basis.
To apply, please submit a CV/resume, two 1-page Hebrew writing samples in PDF format, a 1-page English writing sample, three references, links to public speaking or media appearances if any, and a cover letter to: jessica(at)justvision.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Just Vision is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.